Cultural Resources: Choptank River bridge.
The Emerson C. Harrington Bridge began construction in 1933 and was dedicated by President Franklin Roosevelt in 1935. It is the second longest span bridge in Maryland after the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. It originally had a swing span to allow passage of vessels. This bridge was replaced by the higher none-span Frederick C. Malkus Bridge in 1987. Remains of the 1933 bridge are used as fishing piers on both the north and south bank of the river. The Malkus Bridge was presented with two awards; one for Special Recognition for the Creative Use of Precast and Prestressed Concrete in 1987 from the Prestressed Concrete Institute and, one from the Consulting Engineers Council for Innovative Excellence in Engineering Design in 1988.